“48 hours to make design work for the 2012 Olympic City”
The next OPEN BIM activity with international relevance is Build London Live 2012. This interdisciplinary collaboration event is a virtual competition of AEC teams, organized on 21-23 May. Teams using GRAPHISOFT ArchiCAD have been extremely successful in these events in recent history, we expect this year to be no different!
Registration is already open on the official event site, with full event details. Register your team now! Spectators may register for regular updates on the same site.
Some notable ArchiCAD based team performances at Build Live events recently:
- ArchiCAD 16 has been released!
The definitive OpenBIM modeller, generation 16, the new version of ArchiCAD has been released……and it’s a “morphing BIM object” triumph…well done to the chaps from BUDAPEST!
Let me quickly cover the highlights, before starting the glowing, flowery praise, eulogy…
- Morph Tool – not just for concept level freeform stuff, but full end to end functionality, you could morph a bubble in concept, you could morph an existing door or window during design development, you could morph some 2D lines in the 3D window, to create a detailing element for construction, the morph tool includes a revolutionary interaction with the ArchiCAD GDL functionality, which allows users to morph existing library parts at any time and return these to full fledged GDL again, and again, and again, and…
- BIMcomponents.com – it’s GDL online, one click search and upload from ArchiCAD, we are now one global ArchiCAD user family, able to share any library part we create, anytime, search functionality includes user defined keywords…don’t forget that you can use morph to further edit any library part you find online…manufacturer specific PARAMETRIC elements should be a breeze now!
- EcoDesigner in ArchiCAD – ArchiCAD 16 now ships with EcoDesigner built-in, it’s energy analysis “OUT-THE-BOX”
A host of other functions roll-out with version 16:
- improved 3D editing
- expanded teamwork back-up options
- enhanced IFC, DWG, DXF interoperability…we are OpenBIM
- faster hotlink updates
- library enhancements
Glowing, flowery praise statements by the author, look more like facts though:
- If you do not have ArchiCAD 16, you are going to have less fun, creating fantastic architecture, than the architect who has ArchiCAD 16!
- GRAPHISOFT have again reinforced their market leading position as architectural BIM authoring tool of choice, with the release of ArchiCAD 16!
- The new BIM Server backup functionality enhancements in ArchiCAD 16, set the GRAPHISOFT product range as the industry leading large project, complex data model leaders!
As the new version has so much too offer in it’s long list of new features and in the extensive depth and maturity of the functionality build into these new features, the best way for users and potential users to explore these, will be by face-to-face interaction with expert instructors. Join GRAPHISOFT SA as they will be hosting a full roadshow series in SADC, from 18 June 2012 to 27 July 2012, where a 3 hour new feature demonstration and a 6 hour new version migration and feature training will be offered for each region/city on the schedule. For further details and registration, visit the event schedule page here.If you simply cannot wait, download brochures or view online videos www.graphisoft.co.za . For further details on ArchiCAD 16, BIM Server, BIMx, EcoDesigner and BIMcomponents.com, visit our product detail pages at www.graphisoft.co.za
From Eric Bobrow:
From African Tenders:
- Knysna Municipality Remedial works to the sea walls in the Greater Knysna area. This involves environmentally sensitive work in the Knysna and Swartvlei estuaries, Action Deadline: 2012-05-04, Country: south africa
- Department of Transport KZN, Construction of the White Umfolozi (Ntinini) River Vehicle Bridge, Action Deadline: 2012-10-31, Country: south africa
The last week has been filled with OpenBIM…
I have had the pleasure of meeting some of our existing and some exiting new OpenBIM partners. Let’s get some names on the board and complete the introductions:
- ABVENT : Artlantis 4
- Artlantis is a stand alone rendering application used by architects, designers and urban design professionals in more than 80 countries. A recognized leader in preview window technology, Artlantis is the ideal tool to quickly and easily create still image renderings, iVisit 3D Panoramas, VR Objects and animations.
- In addition to quality and speed improvements, Artlantis 4 introduced iVisit 3D technology for panoramas.
- Cigraph Factory Srl : ArchiSuite® for ArchiCAD®
- The architectural design sector is so variegated that every designer would like to work with his or her own particular tools. With ArchiSuite, Cigraph intends to give ArchiCAD users customized functions for made-to-measure solutions to facilitate all stages of their work. The project is based on the Cigraph add-ons.
- Our aim, however, is to continue enhancing this ever-open container over time to reflect our users’ suggestions.
- Data Design System GmbH : DDS-CAD
- DDS-CAD is an advanced open BIM tool for the design and documentation of electrical, HVAC and plumbing systems for buildings. The software enables you to create building models yourself, or work with 2D floor plans or 3D models imported from an architect or building designer. The software supports 2D floor plan import in DWG or DXF format, and also is certified for import and export of buildingSMART/IFC data, either file based, or through direct connection to a model server.
- Advanced Knowledge Laboratory Inc. : FlowDesigner
- Air-flow simulation for everyone from Japan
- Flow Designer is an air flow simulation software for architects. The Flow Designer is the world first IFC data transferable BIM friendly simulation software for airflow.
- The distinction of Flow Designer, is its simple interface like Google sketch up, and quick calculation. It is possible to see a quick simulation in 5 minutes.
- The software also has an inverse analysis calculation functionality, to find an optimised shape or arrangement for a better air-flow environment.
- MAXON : CINEMA 4D
- MAXON Computer GmbH is a developer for 3D graphics software, offering professional 3D modeling, visualization, painting, animation and rendering solutions.
- CINEMA 4D Visualize, the package of choice for architects, offers a comprehensive suite of modeling and texturing tools, rendering options, import options for a large variety of 2D and 3D applications, and file exchange support for many CAD applications such as ARCHICAD.
- MAXON Computer GmbH has offices in Germany, USA, United Kingdom, France, Japan and Singapore.
- Nemetschek : Scia Engineer
- Scia Engineer is a leading Modelling, Analysis & Design solution for Structural Engineers by Nemetschek Scia, a member of the buildingSMART Alliance. It is the only Structural Analysis Software that is certified for supporting Open BIM.
- Based upon a powerful 3D structural modeller engine with parametric forms, detailing views & drawings, it allows the design of industrial structure, infrastructure and low-to-high-rise buildings.
- The software has several international building codes integrated for the technical design and optimization of steel, concrete, timber, aluminum, … multi-material constructions.
- Solibri, Inc. : Solibri Model Checker
- Solibri is the global leader in BIM quality assurance, quality control and analysis. Solibri provides the AEC community with Solibri Model Checker, the out of the box tool for BIM validation, compliance control, design process coordination, design review, analysis, and code checking.
- Solibri Model Checker improves the quality of design and building information models, and makes the entire design, review and construction process more productive and cost effective.
- Solibri Model Checker supports implementation and enforcement of organization wide best practices.
- StruSoft : VIPEnergy & FEMDesign
- Structural Design Software in Europe AB (StruSoft) is a Swedish innovative software development company with more than 30 years experience in specialized software applications for the entire building industry.
- Our main software packages FEM-Design, WIN-Statik, IMPACT and VIP-Energy have been applied in analysis and design, precast industry, detailing and energy. The software applications have been developed into well proven products, and are now used by more than 10000 users at more than 1000 customers in more than 20 countries around the world
- Tekla Corporation : Tekla
- With its software, Tekla Corporation drives the evolution of digital information models and provides thus more and more competitive advantage to the construction and infrastructure industries. The company was established in 1966, and today it has customers in 100 countries, offices in 15 countries, and a global partner network. Tekla became part of Trimble Group in 2011.
- With an ambition to multiply its customers’ potential to think and achieve big, Tekla provides an accurate, detailed, and data-rich 3D BIM (Building Information Modeling) software environment that can be shared by contractors, structural engineers, steel detailers and fabricators, as well as concrete detailers and manufacturers. The highly detailed as-built structural models created, combined and distributed with Tekla BIM software enable the highest level of construct ability and production control.
- Centralising building information into the model allows for more collaborative and integrated project management and delivery. This translates into increased productivity and elimination of waste, thus making construction and buildings more sustainable.
- More information at http://www.tekla.com, http://www.teklastructures.com and http://www.teklabimsight.com
- VintoCON : Share Your Design : Helpdesk for ArchiCAD : Mobile extension for Helpdesk for ArchiCAD
- This year we introduce our brand new ArchiCAD add-ons (Share Your Design – SyD and Helpdesk for ArchiCAD), advanced cloud solutions targeting ArchiCAD users and architects primarily. They open new dimensions for building professionals throughout the entire building lifecycle – from the design process through the construction stages till the facility operation/maintenance management.
- SyD – Share Your Design – http://www.shareyourdesign.com - The ultimate BIM based cloud solution for architects to collaborate with their clients, to discuss design alternatives, plus bringing together all team members such as engineers, constructors, developers etc…, it uses simple web browser technology, there is no need to install anything on the client’s side.
- Helpdesk for ArchiCAD – helpdesk.vintocon.com - BIM based Building Maintenance Management system – this intelligent cloud solution integrates with the ArchiCAD BIM file, allowing users to execute/track/record typical maintenance projects such as MEP Maintenance projects. This ArchiCAD add-on also extends the BIM model with document management capabilities, you can view, list and manage all related documents such as fact sheets, service manuals, photos, videos etc… through the web by using either desktop computers or mobile devices.
- Mobile extension for Helpdesk for ArchiCAD - Facilities management goes mobile with this process oriented issue management tool, you can take your tasks on-site directly from ArchiCAD.
- OrthoGraph Ltd – OrthoGraph
- OrthoGraph supports building survey using an iPad. The system implements the BIM concept on- site, through site and object properties and building structure. The intuitive interface of OrthoGraph shows the measured drawings in real time ensuring that there is no need to re- measure any forgotten or false distance. The system also can use point cloud data or blueprint floor-plans. OrthoGraph is the only iPad CAD app that has a native ArchiCAD Add-On. The result of the survey can be imported into ArchiCAD (both on Mac and PC) in 3D with all properties, while DWG and SKP formats are also supported.
- The functionality of OrthoGraph strongly enhances the renovation features of ArchiCAD 15 extending it to support your on-site work.
- éptár ltd. : éptár
- Éptár Ltd is a GDL and Add-On developer company. Our target is to develop ArchiCAD Add-Ons and GDL Libraries for Manufacturers. With our solutions, the Architects can implement Manufacturer designed building elements and systems in their ArchiCAD BIM model.
- Tiling - Wall and floor tiling application for ArchiCAD. Photo realistic model, documentation and 3D design.
- Din3D Importer - The application helps for the users to export ArchiCAD building models to 3DsMax software. This plug-in is a new version of AC4D+ plug-in by DINNYE.
- BIMm GmbH : Flexijet4architects
- Flexijet4architects is a new, revolutionary BIMmeasuring system (BIM – Building InformationModeling) whose diversity enables first-timeusers, all-rounders and specialists to create an ideal measurement.
- “Measure-drawing” with Flexijet4architectsMeasuring, drawing and modeling altogether in one working step. With the ARCHICAD AddOn and the flexible and laser supported3D measuring system.
- Flexijet’s recording of an object-oriented building measurement is possible – a Virtual Building model.The measured data is wirelessly transferred directly to ARCHICAD, whilst still in the field.
- InterCAD Kft : AxisVM
- Civil engineers on 5 continents use AxisVM for the analysis of structures with confidence that their final engineering product will meet the most up-to-date engineering analysis and design requirements.
- Structural analysis software that is intuitive and graphically driven, it is exceptionally easy to use and truly easy to start.
- Available Languages: English, French, German, Dutch, Czech, Romanian, Slovak, Hungarian, Spanish, Italian, Serbian
- Linear, nonlinear, buckling, vibration, seismic and dynamic analysis for truss, beam, rib, membrane, plate and shell two dimension and three dimension structures. Pushover and time history analysis.
- RIK Corporation : RIK LANDSCAPE PACK for ArchiCAD : ViewSTYLE for ArchiCAD
- RIK LANDSCAPE PACK for ArchiCAD - “RIK LANDSCAPE PACK” is a dedicated landscape design package for ArchiCAD users. Installing “RIK LANDSCAPE PACK” ,users will be enabled to create spectacular exterior, gardening and landscaping design presentation in a sort time and improve their quality of drawings, as well.
- ViewSTYLE for ArchiCAD - It is real-time walkthrough software with shadow simulation considering longitude, latitude,time and directions. When it becomes night, the illumination lightens up automatically. And the high- speed video encoding function enables you to easily export ideal movies into Youtube HD. By saving the images as viewer format, you can use the clients’ PC to experience the walkthrough without any special applications.
As always, keep an eye on the blog, we will be releasing more detailed overviews of the products and companies in the weeks to follow.
Studio Pacific – an ArchiCAD key client in New Zealand – was established in Wellington in 1992. One of their recent works with international acclaim – the Wellington International Airport Passenger Terminal (The Rock) – required a unique and innovative design. Marcellus Lilley, Associate and Lead Project Architect and Karl Frost, Senior Technician explain the process that resulted in the multi award–winning Airport Terminal building.
Traditional approach to interdisciplinary collaboration basically means any form of 2D collaboration including paper, DWG or PDF or any other 2D forms. This approach can be characterized as follows:
- Limited coordination workflow → the whole workflow relies too much upon manual work and willingness of cooperation between the parties
- Heavy conversion of data → the whole workflow is based upon “dumb” intermediary formats so data conversion results serious information loss
- No utilization of others’ data → due to differences in documentation conventions the received 2D data cannot practically be further utilized
- No comprehensive coordination → due to the 2D nature of the workflow the project cannot be coordinated in one integrated environment
Sticking to the technical level coordination between the different trades has been through a long evolution. Traditionally different trades submitted full printed documentation sets at the different stages of the design process and used light-tables to try and coordinate the different building structures and building systems. This approach is still popular today with paper’s digital equivalents the still 2D DWG and PDF based collaboration workflows.
with the much richer building information model data. With BIM models there has been an increasing demand for true model based collaboration. Two fundamentally different approaches emerged one known as the “platform” approach where collaboration happens using the different branches of the same software solution, the other known as the “open” approach where different software solutions form the basis of model-based collaboration.