By introducing multiple thermal blocks to the Building Energy Model, Energy Evaluation for ArchiCAD 17 produces an increasingly sophisticated and accurate report of the project’s energy demand, using a standard-compliant engine. An expanded interface and new evaluation features take advantage of the more detailed data provided by multiple thermal blocks (instead of the single-block method used in ArchiCAD 16).
Easy Creation and Visualization of Thermal Blocks
A project’s Thermal Blocks are defined by the user; their geometry consists of one or more ArchiCAD zones. Each Thermal Block (e.g. Stairwell, Office, Basement, Technical Area) typically has its own energy characteristics and needs.
- Define thermal blocks by drag-and-dropping ArchiCAD zones from the model window into the Thermal Block list
- New Thermal Blocks page of the Model Review Palette lists thermal blocks with all their relevant properties
- Highlight the list entries to visualize Thermal Block geometry directly in the ArchiCAD model
Streamlined Management of Structure/Opening Data
- Use the Model Review Palette’s new Tree View to browse, edit and visualize the Openings/Structure data, organized by Thermal Block
- Properties panel provides editable list view
- Openings page provides individual analysis (listing, editing and visualization) of each opening
- More detailed parameter set allows for a more accurate energy simulation
Model-based Solar Irradiation Study
- Model-Based Solar Irradiation Study determines precise solar gain through each individual opening in the building envelope
- Graphical Solar Analysis feedback for each opening
- Solar analysis also considers shading effects of building environment (e.g. adjacent objects, other buildings)
- ArchiCAD plant objects act as intelligent shading devices: their shading capacity is scheduled for the reference year, making it possible to factor in whether the plants used for shading are coniferous or deciduous
Custom Operation Profiles
- Define custom Operation Profiles (in addition to default profiles) to fine-tune occupancy according to local regulations or to match actual building usage
- Hourly scheduling for the entire reference year guarantees accurate input of occupancy patterns
Assign Multiple Building Systems
In ArchiCAD 17, assignment of MEP systems is available for each thermal block separately – not just for the project as a whole. The resulting Energy Simulation thus presents a more realistic picture of the project’s energy demand.
More Detailed Energy Reports
- More detailed energy reports in PDF and XLS formats
- New formatting options, including colors, font, add image as header
- Multiple thermal blocks support the evaluation of mixed use complex buildings
- Building Energy Modeling (BEM) now a standard part of the ArchiCAD offering
- More detailed evaluation reports enable better and more sustainable design decisions even in the early design phase
- Integrated energy evaluation in ArchiCAD 17 lays the foundation for standard compliant energy analysis with EcoDesigner Star
For more about Sustainable design in ArchiCAD 17, visit the YouTube Channel of ArchiCAD Sustainable design here.